- Christian II’s prison
The castle was built in the 13th century and became one of the strongest fortresses of the kingdom in the Middle Ages. It was rebuilt 1550-1560 as a Renaissance complex. The castle chapel, Queen Dorothea’s Chapel – is today one of Europe’s few preserved princely chapels from the Reformation, and houses Denmark’s oldest pure Renaissance interior.
Today the castle houses the Museum of South Jutland History with exhibitions about among other things the history of the castle and King Christian II as well as the Schleswig-Holstein Wars 1848 and 1864 and the First World War.